"The role of the artist is exactly the same as the role of the lover. If I love you, I have to make you conscious of the things you don’t see.”
MAGELLANICA By E.M. Lewis
1986. Winter. Antarctica. There is a hole in the sky… An epic adventure with an international cast about the natural world, scientific endeavor, and the human heart.
Vin Shambry as Captain Adam Burrell
“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”
Top commercial spot Secret Deodorant | NFL-Red Zone
All art is a kind of confession, more or less oblique. All artists, if they are to survive, are forced, at last, to tell the whole story, to vomit the anguish up. Baldwin, James
Cover family Vin and Harlowe Bentley. Photography Intisar Ariboto (theblackportlanders.com)
1. Routines are good: Ours includes a daily, post-breakfast dance session. There’s nobody else around except you and the baby, so own it and be ridiculous.
2. Beatboxing: It stops her crying every time. That and 89.9 all classical FM radio with our favorite host, Christa Wessel.
3. Drop in baby/toddler gyms (like the one at Peninsula Park): An entire baby-proofed gymnasium of padded mats, balls, and tunnels? It’s a wonderland for her and my chance to lie on the floor for only a buck. We’re there every day.
4. Lay off Instagram: As much as I want to document every cute thing she does, the moments I’ll never forget are the ones where my phone is in the bottom of the diaper bag.
5. Be patient: Some days it can feel isolating when most of the other stay-at-home parents you see are white women. But eventually you’ll find other parents you relate to.
6. Stretch: I make a point to stretch whenever I’m on the floor playing with her. Gotta stay limber to keep up as she figures out this world.